Let’s get our own forum debate going here. Please go ahead, get your wordpress account, so you can be like someone in the above picture 🙂 and tell me how bad my blog sucks or just make a comment to share your experiences.
What do you think are the most important backpacking skills?
Forget about water weight, tent weight, favorite menus, hating to clean up, etc. etc., etc, some of our favorite fire side chat material.
Note: these blogs really take a lot of time to write, jeeeez! And when you let your words “cool off”, then you keep thinking of more elaboration; it’s a vicious circle my friends. Now I need to go and find a good topic photo, wait, am I thinking out loud again? 😉
Off the top of my head, I’m thinking, …..wait, crap, maybe there are different categories of skills sets?
Maybe a set for a group/trip leader? Maybe a set for solo hiking? Wow, I’m complicating this after only 74 words!
Is there a general skill set? Ok, here goes, real fast…no particular order…
- Problem solving.
- First Aid. Is that different from wilderness first aid?
- Survival? (maybe my sleeping bag finally gets wet, and it’s cold, very cold, and I can’t get a fire stated).
- Ability to start a fire?
- Ability to keep calm in an emergency/provide leadership? Ability to keep out of an emergency situation? Ability to recognize when you are in or near an emergency situation? (I personally think some people lack ‘personal situational awareness’ and just follow along blindly)
- Leadership? (rant: sometimes a group needs somebody to just make a decision! Like, where to camp that day? If you break camp, start walking and it’s not clear where the group is to camp, you have all sorts of problems. How far are we going to walk? Where are we camping? How much water do we carry? Does the fast group wait for the the slower group – and/or where? And if you’re already up and walking, it’s pretty clear or murky that a leader is going to be needed to make that decision or at least lead the group into a concensus – or you just have backpacking anarchy! (JK- I jest)
- Ability to tell jokes or play the harmonica at the campfire? (these traits will be discussed next!)
Ok, your turn, what are your most important skills!